The Golden Gate Bridge, Highway, and Transportation District is planning to demolish the existing passenger boarding systems at the Sausalito ferry landing, which is east of the intersection of Bridgeway and Anchor Street, and replace them with new passenger boarding systems. This page provides links to materials, agendas, staff reports, videos, and news articles regarding the 2017 re-submittal of the ferry landing project, pursuant to the Memorandum of Understanding dated July 28, 2017.
- In early 2015, the City Council established a public review process to review the proposed plans from the District. The process culminated in the City Council denying consent to the project. Click here to review materials from the 2015 process.
- In early 2016, the City Council established a subsequent review process to review the District's revised plans, and several meetings were held. Click here to review materials from 2016 process.
- In September 2016, the City of Sausalito filed a Verified Petition for Writ of Mandate and Complaint for Declaratory Relief in Marin County Superior Court against the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District. Click here to review the lawsuit materials.
- In late July 2017, the City and the District executed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to stay for six months the parties' pending litigation arising from the District's project to replace the existing ferry terminal located in Sausalito. The MOU was executed on Friday, July 28, 2017. Under the MOU, the Bridge District will submit newly revised plans for the project.
2017 Revised Plan Submission
In the 2017 revised plan submission the District is proposing reductions in the length and width of the ferry terminal from the plans which were submitted in March of 2016. The width of the proposed float will be reduced by 4 feet, from 53 feet (March 2016) to 49 feet (revised proposal), with a corresponding reduction in the width of the gangway from 16 feet (March 2016) to 12 feet (revised proposal). The length of the proposed float will be reduced by 1.5 feet, from 145.5 feet (March 2016) to 144 feet (revised proposal).
The revised plans also incorporate changes to the design features of the Project pursuant to input received in March of 2016. The District is proposing that the color used for gates, railings, and gangway be a galvanized steel (light grey). With regard to lighting, the District is proposing, warm spot lighting along the access pier and gangway. Additionally, the lighting on the float has been reduced in height by one foot, from 19 feet to 18 feet. Pursuant to the July 28, 2017 Memorandum of Understanding the District and the City are consulting with the Bay Conservation and Development Commission (BCDC) in an effort to persuade BCDC to consent to remove the belvederes from the proposed project. Where applicable in the plans, the District has provided two alternatives for the belvederes on the access pier; one version shows the belvederes on the access pier and the other version shows the access pier without the belvederes.
The District submitted revised photo renderings on August 17, 2017. View the photo renderings here. The Bridge District's revised renderings compare the existing ferry landing with the proposed ferry landing from various vantage points. The new renderings also incorporate input received during the Planning Commission and Historic Landmark Board meetings on the paint color used for gates, railings, and gangway.
The District submitted revised plans on August 29, 2017. View the plans here. The plans are also in paper form at the Administration counter and the Library service desk.
City Council Meetings
- September 12, 2017: 7:00 p.m. IDESST Hall, 511 Caledonia Street, Sausalito, CA 94965
View the agenda, staff report and other materials for this meeting here. View the recording from the meeting.
- September 26, 2017: 7:00 p.m. IDESST Hall, 511 Caledonia Street, Sausalito, CA 94965
View the agenda, staff report and other materials for this meeting here. You can view the live webcast of the meeting during the event here. A recording of the meeting will be posted up to three days after the conclusion of the meeting here.
- 2017 Revised Plans (August 29, 2017)
- 2017 Revised Photorenderings (August 17, 2017)
- Memorandum of Understanding (July 28, 2017)
- COWI Report (September 26, 2016)
- 2016 Revised Plans (August 16, 2016)
- Environmental Vision Report (June 1, 2016)
- Staff Memo to City Council Regarding PC/HLB 3/29/16 Votes (April 1, 2016)
- 2016 Revised Drawings (March 2, 2016)
- City Council Resolution No. 5512 (May 5, 2015)
- Planning Commission/Historic Landmarks Board Resolution No. 2015-08 (April 29, 2015)
- 2015 Plans (March 24, 2015)
- Mitigated Negative Declaration (certified on December 18, 2012)
- City of Sausalito and Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District Lease (December 1, 1995)
Sausalito Currents Articles
- September 15, 2017: City Council Considers Revised Ferry Landing Plans
- September 8, 2017: Council to Consider Revised Ferry Landing Plans on September 12
- September 1, 2017: Bridge District Submits Revised Plans for Sausalito Ferry Landing
- August 29, 2017: Special Bulletin: District Submits Revised Plans for Sausalito Ferry Landing
- August 4, 2017: Joint Press Release on Ferry Landing
- July 31, 2017: Special Bulletin: Joint Press Release on Ferry Landing
- May 26, 2017: Bridge District Seeks to Implement Sausalito Ferry Landing Project