About Encroachment Permits
- Any work performed in the public right-of-way requires an encroachment permit
- If you are unsure if you need to obtain an encroachment permit, please contact the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department at (415) 289-4106 or email@example.com
- For encroachment permit fees, please consult City of Sausalito Fees and Charges
Encroachment Permit Application Forms
Encroachment Application Review Guidelines
- Is the proposed encroachment compatible with the surrounding area?
- Would the granting of the permit adversely affect the usability or enjoyment of adjoining parcels?
- Would the encroachment create or extend an undesirable land use precedent?
- Does the proposed encroachment conflict with the General Plan, adopted ordinance or any precise plan of the City of Sausalito?
- Is the extent of the proposed encroachment justifiable?
- Public Enjoyment
- Would the proposed encroachment significantly diminish public enjoyment, either visual or physical, of the open space to be encroached upon?
- Is the assignment of open space to private use and enjoyment justifiable in terms of public interest?
- Could the value of the proposed improvements prejudice a policy decision to terminate the encroachments?
- Would the proposed encroachment adversely affect existing rights-of-way and preclude or make difficult the establishment or improvement of existing or potential streets or pedestrian ways?
- Would the proposed encroachment adversely affect the existing circulation of vehicles or pedestrians?
Would granting of the encroachment application create or constitute a hazard to public safety?
Regulations for Working in Sausalito Streets
- The City of Sausalito has adopted the City of San Francisco's Regulations for Working in the Streets and the Department of Public Works Guidelines for the Placement of Barricades at Construction Sites.
Projects Requiring Review by the Planning Commission and Approval by the City Council
- stairs not on grade, signs, awnings,
- landscaping [staff review permitted]
- driveways (cut or fill more than 6') [staff review permitted]
- buildings (structural)
- dwelling units
- parking spaces
- Design Review will be required for significant visual projects
- Any questions about encroachment permits may be directed to the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department at (415) 289-4106 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please see our staff directory for the contact information of individual staff members