City of Sausalito News

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Ferryboat Sausalito Lands at City Hall

Post Date:09/07/2018 11:00 AM

A model of the ferryboat Sausalito is now on display in the Litho Street lobby of Sausalito City Hall. The ferryboat model is on loan from the Marin History Museum to the Sausalito Historical Society. The model was created by Dr. Thomas Snead in 1950 and is 64 inches long. Dr. Snead was a dentist who practiced in Fairfax for more than fifty years.

The original ferryboat Sausalito was a train ferry built in 1894. The Sausalito was 256 feet long and 68 feet at the beam, and carried up to 2,400 passengers. The ferry was originally fitted with railway tracks in its hold and carried freight cars loaded with goods from Sausalito to San Francisco. Steam-powered side paddle wheels propelled the Sausalito at speeds of up to 15 miles per hour.

In 1901, during a dense fog, the Sausalito ran into the ferryboat San Rafael in a night collision off Alcatraz Island, sinking the smaller San Rafael. Since 1939, the Sausalito has served as the clubhouse for the Sportsmen Yacht Club in Antioch, California.
 
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE SAUSALITO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
VIEW HISTORICAL PHOTOS OF THE FERRYBOAT SAUSALITO
Return to full list >>