Wireless Ordinance on Agenda of May 28 Council Meeting
At its meeting on Tuesday, May 28, the City Council will consider changes to Sausalito's zoning ordinance governing wireless telecommunications facilities. The changes are in response to state and federal laws that limit the ability of municipalities to regulate the deployment of telecommunications equipment like small-cell wireless nodes.
The zoning ordinance that will be considered by the City Council includes the following changes and additions to the existing ordinance, among others:
- The acknowledgement that, in accordance with state and federal law, the ordinance is not intended to inhibit the provision of wireless telecommunication service, nor is it intended to deny any request based on the environmental and/or health effects of radio frequency emissions
- The stipulation that all non-antenna equipment associated with a wireless telecommunication facility must be placed underground to the extent feasible
- The stipulation that when above-ground is the only feasible location for a particular type of equipment, and the equipment cannot be pole-mounted, such equipment shall be enclosed within a structure, shall not exceed a height of 5 feet and total footprint of 15 square feet, and shall be screened and camouflaged to the fullest extent possible
- The stipulation that each component of a wireless facility shall be located so as not to cause any physical or visual obstruction to pedestrian or vehicular traffic, inconvenience to the public's use of a right-of-way, or create safety hazards
- The stipulation that each component of a wireless telecommunication facility shall be located so as not to obstruct public views
- The stipulation that most alterations to existing facilities or requests for a new carrier to be established at an existing facility be reviewed at a staff level rather than at a public meeting of the Planning Commission (in accordance with new federal regulations)
- The establishment of fees for small cell wireless facilities located in the public right-of-way
The changes that are being considered by the City Council are based on recommendations from the Planning Commission, which considered the issue at its meeting on May 15, 2019. A video recording of the May 15 meeting is available on the City website. The Wireless Communication Standards and Criteria Update is item 5B of the meeting and begins at the 1:28:00 mark.
Additional information about the changes to the zoning ordinance governing wireless telecommunications facilities may be found in the staff report to the City Council and in supporting documents for item 7B on the meeting agenda for May 28. If the changes to the zoning ordinance are approved on May 28, a second reading is expected to take place at the City Council meeting on June 11. If the second reading is approved, the revised ordinance will go into effect 30 days later.
Any questions about the City's regulations governing telecommunications facilities may be directed to Community Development Director Lilly Whalen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 289-4133.
READ THE STAFF REPORT FOR THE MAY 28 CITY COUNCIL MEETING
READ THE DRAFT OF THE REVISED ZONING ORDINANCE
VIEW A MAP OF WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS FACILITIES IN SAUSALITO