Modified Services During the Public Health Order to Shelter at Home
- The Community Development Department will shift essential planning and building services to virtual appointments only (over the phone, email, or a virtual meeting) while the public health order to shelter at home is in effect.
- All planning and building services moved to virtual appointments only (over the phone, email, or a virtual meeting). If you would like to find out more about building permit services please contact Permit Technician Kimii Birdon at (415) 289-4144 or KBirdon@sausalito.gov. If you would like to find out more about planning permit services please contact Contract Planner Brad Evanson at (415) 289-4129 or BEvanson@sausalito.gov. To contact Community Development Director Lilly Whalen please call (415) 289-4133 or LWhalen@sausalito.gov.
- Building inspections will continue, as staffing allows, with a move to as many virtual inspections as possible. Inspections requiring in-person inspection will be performed with new health and safety protocols in place. Please contact Building Inspector Kenneth Henry at (415) 289-4136 or KHenry@sausalito.gov to see if your project qualifies for a virtual inspection. To schedule an in-person inspection (available on Mondays and on an as-needed basis on Thursday) call (415) 289-4100 ext. 811 or visit https://www.sausalito.gov/departments/community-development/building-division/building-inspections for more information.
- Building and planning permits currently in the pipeline will continue to be processed. New permit applications and issuance of permits will be on a priority basis.
- All submittals will be conducted either via email or through eTRAKiT. For building permit submittals/issuance please contact Permit Technician Kimii Birdon at (415) 289-4144 or KBirdon@sausalito.gov. For planning permit submittals/issuance please contact Contract Planner Brad Evanson at (415) 289-4129 or BEvanson@sausalito.gov.
- The City Digital Submittal Requirements may be viewed here.
- The City will continue to accept applications for, and issue, residential building reports. A residential building report is required prior to the sale or exchange of any residential building in the City of Sausalito. For more information please contact Interim Administrative Aide Davis Asano at (415) 289-4132 or DAsano@sausalito.gov or visit https://www.sausalito.gov/departments/community-development/building-division/resale-requirements.
- Services from staff are limited to "essential services," so please be patient while the City adjusts its staffing and workload accordingly.
- For more details, please consult COVID-19 Prioritization and Protocols for the Community Development Department.
What We Do in Community Development
- Guide the physical development of the City including public and private building projects
- Ensure that new development projects are consistent with the General Plan, the Zoning Ordinance, and other local regulations
- Ensure that all construction projects conform with state and local construction codes
- Conduct in-progress inspections of construction projects
- Enforce the City's health, safety, and environmental regulations
- Provide public notices of City Council, Planning Commission, and Zoning Administrator hearings coordinated by the Community Development Department, as well as notices for actions by the Community Development Director
Roles & Responsibilities
- Planning Division:
- Issue permits for development projects proposed by private individuals
- Undertake the preparation of advance planning projects such as the General Plan Update
- Provide staff support for the Planning Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, and the City Council
- Enforce the City's development regulations and permit conditions through the efforts of a Code Enforcement Officer
- Building Division:
- Any questions about the Community Development Department or a project related to Community Development may be directed to (415) 289-4128 or email@example.com
- Please see our staff directory for the contact information of individual staff members