Modified Services During the Public Health Order to Shelter at Home
- The Community Development Department have shifted essential planning and building services to virtual appointments only (over the phone, email, or a virtual meeting) while the public health order to shelter at home is in effect.
- All planning and building services have moved to virtual appointments only (over the phone, email, or a virtual meeting). If you would like to find out more about building permit services please contact Permit Technician Kimii Birdon at (415) 289-4144 or KBirdon@sausalito.gov. If you would like to find out more about planning permit services please contact Contract Planner Brad Evanson at (415) 289-4129 or BEvanson@sausalito.gov. To contact Community Development Director Lilly Whalen please call (415) 289-4133 or LWhalen@sausalito.gov.
- Building inspections will continue Monday through Thursday with new protocols to ensure health and safety practices are followed. The Division has launched a virtual inspection process for smaller improvements and will determine if an inspection request qualifies for this new type of inspection. These virtual inspections will be performed on Tuesdays and Thursdays. All other inspections will be onsite inspections and performed on Mondays and Wednesdays. Note that all onsite inspections will only be performed if the construction site is in conformance with the current COVID-19 Workplace Safety Guidance document attached to the April 29th Health Order. Inspections may be cancelled or permits suspended if contractor personnel are not complying with the Health Order and associated guidelines. Please contact Building Inspector Kenneth Henry at (415) 289-4136 or KHenry@sausalito.gov to see if your project qualifies for a virtual inspection. To schedule an inspection call (415) 289-4100 ext. 811 or visit https://www.sausalito.gov/departments/community-development/building-division/building-inspections for more information.
- Building and planning permits currently in the pipeline will continue to be processed electronically. New permit applications will be accepted electronically and issuance of permits will be conditioned on adhering to construction safety protocols in the April 29th Health Order.
- All submittals will be conducted either via email or through eTRAKiT. For building permit submittals/issuance please contact Permit Technician Kimii Birdon at (415) 289-4144 or KBirdon@sausalito.gov. For planning permit submittals/issuance please contact Contract Planner Brad Evanson at (415) 289-4129 or BEvanson@sausalito.gov.
- The City Digital Submittal Requirements may be viewed here.
- The City will continue to accept applications for, and issue, residential building reports. A residential building report is required prior to the sale or exchange of any residential building in the City of Sausalito. For more information please contact Interim Administrative Aide Maria Hernandez at (415) 289-4132 or email@example.com or visit https://www.sausalito.gov/departments/community-development/building-division/resale-requirements.
- Services from staff are limited to "essential services," so please be patient while the City adjusts its staffing and workload accordingly.
- For more details, please consult COVID-19 Prioritization and Protocols for the Community Development Department.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Planning Division:
- Issue permits for development projects proposed by private individuals
- Undertake the preparation of advance planning projects such as the General Plan Update
- Provide staff support for the Planning Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, and the City Council
- Enforce the City's development regulations and permit conditions through the efforts of a Code Enforcement Officer
- Building Division:
- Any questions about the Community Development Department or a project related to Community Development may be directed to (415) 289-4128 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please see our staff directory for the contact information of individual staff members