What Is a Short-Term Rental?
A short-term rental is defined as the rental of a dwelling unit, accessory unit, a room, or rooms of a dwelling unit for a period of less than 30 days. Airbnb, VRBO, and HomeAway are among the most popular short-term rental services.
Short-Term Rentals Are Prohibited in Sausalito
Sausalito Municipal Code, section 10.22.030 lists the allowable land uses in all of the Residential Zoning Districts. Transient Occupancy, which is defined in chapter 10.88 as occupancy of residential structures, hotel rooms, or dwelling units on a temporary period of less than thirty (30) days, is not listed as an allowed use; therefore, short-term rentals are not allowed. Renting is allowed for long-term occupancy, which is 30 days or greater.
Reporting a Short-Term Rental Violation
Code enforcement on short-term rental violations are on a complaint basis. If you wish to report short-term rental activity, please complete and submit a Code Complaint Form to the Code Enforcement Officer of the Community Development Department: (415) 289-4111 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Violations can be fined $1,000 for the first offense, $2,000 for the second offense, and $5,000 for the third and subsequent offenses (Sausalito Municipal Code Section 1.10.110.B).
The Past and Future of Regulating Short-Term Rentals
The survey asked “Should short-term rentals be allowed or prohibited in Sausalito?" 63% of survey respondents said that short-term rentals should be allowed with regulations. 35% said that short-term rentals should continue to be prohibited. 2% were undecided.
At the City Council meeting on February 28, 2017, four of the five Short Term Rental Task Force members recommended establishing a pilot program to allow short-term rentals with a list of regulations and restrictions, and to review the program after one year for its compliance, enforcement, costs, permit fee, and transient occupancy tax revenues. The City Council voted 3-2 to continue to prohibit short-term rentals, disband the Short Term Rental Task Force, and address the short-term rental issue as part of the General Plan Update process.
At its meeting on Tuesday, October 9, 2018, the Sausalito City Council directed City staff to prepare a draft ordinance creating a one-year pilot program to allow short-term rentals in Sausalito under limited conditions. The draft ordinance was scheduled to be presented at the meeting of the City Council on Tuesday, October 30, 2018, but was continued to a date uncertain.
Any questions, comments, or requests to receive email notice of upcoming meetings related to short-term rentals may be directed to Community Development Director Lilly Whalen at email@example.com or (415) 289-4133.
Articles from Sausalito Currents
- November 30, 2018: City Council Beefs Up Code Enforcement
- November 2, 2018: Council Delays Discussion of Regulations on Short-Term Rentals
- October 26, 2018: Council to Discuss Draft Regulations on Short-Term Rentals
- October 12, 2018: Council Takes Steps Toward Short-Term Rental Pilot Program
- October 5, 2018: City Council to Discuss Short-Term Rentals at October 9 Meeting
- February 23, 2018: Short-Term Rentals in Sausalito
- March 3, 2017: City Council Disbands Short-Term Rental Task Force
- September 20, 2016: City Council Forms Task Force on Short-Term Rentals
- July 1, 2016: What's Your Opinion on Short-Term Rentals in Sausalito?
- June 24, 2016: Make Your Voice Heard on Short-Term Rentals
- June 10, 2016: Community Forums on the Future of Short-Term Rentals
- June 3, 2016: Community Forum on Short-Term Rentals
City Council Meeting Archives
- November 27, 2018: Appropriate Funds to Increase Contract Code Enforcement Services and Contract with a Vendor for Short-Term Rental Monitoring and Compliance
- October 30, 2018: Short Term Rental Pilot Program Discussion (Continued from October 9, 2018)
- October 9, 2018: Short Term Rental Pilot Program Discussion
- February 28, 2017: Short Term Rental (STR) Task Force Recommendations
- November 29, 2016: Update on the Short Term Rental (STR) Task Force
- September 27, 2016: Short Term Rental Task Force/Working Group Appointment Process
- July 26, 2016: Update on Community Forums on Short Term Rentals
- January 26, 2016: Airbnb - Update on Short Term Vacation Rentals: Code Enforcement Program
- June 30, 2015: Short Term Vacation Rentals - Code Enforcement Program
- March 17, 2015: Short Term Vacation Rentals - Provide Direction to Staff re: Next Steps