Claim for Damages

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How to File a Claim with the City

  • In general, you must file a claim before initiating a lawsuit against a public entity seeking money or damages (see California Government Code Section 905).
  • To file a claim against the City of Sausalito, fill out a Claim for Damages Form and submit it to the City Clerk’s Office.
  • Please be sure to closely follow the instructions for filing a claim. Instructions are included with the downloadable form. Failure to closely follow the instructions may delay the processing of your claim.
  • Generally, a claim relating to death or injury to a person or to personal property should be filed within six (6) months from the date of occurrence. For exceptions to this rule, please see California Government Code Section 911.2.
  • In addition to the claim form, you must provide an itemized breakdown of how you computed the amount claimed. Attach copies of estimates, receipts, wage loss verification, photographs, and any other supporting documents to your claim submission.
  • The City will investigate your claim and a decision will usually be made to accept or reject the claim. Notice of the decision shall be mailed to you at the address you provide on the claim form.
  • You may seek the advice of an attorney at any time during the investigation and evaluation of your claim.
  • The completed form and any supporting documents should be submitted by mail or in person to the City Clerk's office at 420 Litho Street, Sausalito, CA 94965.


  • Any questions related to filing a Claim for Damages Form may be addressed to the Office of the City Clerk at (415) 289-4134 or