MLK Campus History

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • The property was originally developed in the 1940’s by the military to support the Ship Building efforts which included a commissary and a cafeteria (Building 1), and a bus barn (Building 7). 

MLK blg1 and bldg 7 

  • The Sausalito School District purchased the property in the late 1940’s and through the 40’s and 50’s constructed the remainder of the buildings on the property.  It was operated as Richardson Bay School and then the Martin Luther King (MLK) School.
  • In 1987, the City of Sausalito reached an agreement with the Sausalito School District to acquire the Martin Luther King (MLK) Campus through a Lease Purchase Agreement. 
  • In 1997, the City renegotiated the lease/purchase agreement with the School District in order to ease the financial strain by extending the lease over a longer period of time. 
  • In the Spring of 1998, the Sausalito City Council’s election called for a NO vote on a measure which would have allowed outside commercial interests to develop a recreational activity center and thus shorten the acquisition time-table.