A building permit is not required for the following types of work:
- One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, play houses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet. (Please note the Planning Division has additional Zoning requirements that may affect the placement or use of accessory buildings.)
- Fences not over 6 feet high.
- Non-fixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters, and partitions not over 5 ft 9 inches high.
- Retaining walls which are not over 4 feet high measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II, or III-A liquids.
- Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade, not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route. The Planning Division has additional Zoning requirements that may affect the placement or use of these structures.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and similar finish work.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more that 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Groups R-3 and occupancies.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground.
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two- family dwellings.
- Separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required as applicable for the above exempted items.
Exemption from the permit requirement of City Codes shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of Construction Codes or any other laws or ordinances of the City of Sausalito.