Encroachment Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

About Encroachment Permits

  • Any work performed in the public right-of-way requires an encroachment permit
  • If you are unsure if you need to obtain an encroachment permit, please contact the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department at mlockett@sausalito.gov or (415) 289-4106 
  • For encroachment permit fees, please consult City of Sausalito Fees and Charges

Encroachment Permit Application Forms

  • Effective on 3/16/2020, we only accept digital and online submittals. To submit an application, email completed application & all supplemental documents to mlockett@sausalito.gov, or apply through eTrakit

  • Please note that encroachment permits are not issued over the counter, and have a minimum turn around time of two weeks, depending on the amount of applications already in queue for review.

  • Required documents for all encroachment permit applications include:

    • Completed Encroachment Permit Application, with full description in the middle section of all proposed work to occur in the public right of way
    • Site plan showing the location of the proposed work
    • Traffic control plan if working in the roadway
    • Pedestrian detour plan if working in the sidewalk and cannot keep 4 feet open 
    • Certificate of insurance naming the City of Sausalito as an additional insured on the contractor's liability policy, with the described language in the following sample document

Encroachment Application Review Guidelines

  • Compatibility
  • Need
  • Public Enjoyment
  • Circulation
  • Safety

Regulations for Working in Sausalito Streets

Projects Requiring Review by the Planning Commission and Approval by the City Council

  • stairs not on grade, signs, awnings,
  • landscaping [staff review permitted]
  • driveways (cut or fill more than 6') [staff review permitted]
  • garages
  • fences
  • buildings (structural)
  • dwelling units
  • parking spaces
  • Design Review will be required for significant visual projects


  • Any questions about encroachment permits may be directed to the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department at mlockett@sausalito.gov or (415) 289-4106
  • Please see our Staff Directory for the contact information of individual staff members