About Vacation House Checks
Sausalito residents may rest easier while on vacation knowing that the Sausalito Police Department's Volunteers in Public Safety (VIPS) have checked their homes while they are away. The VIPS are a group of dedicated volunteers who assist the Police Department in protecting the Sausalito community. Vacation house checks are just one of the many tasks they do to assist the Police Department.
What Happens During A Vacation House Check
When the VIPS conduct a vacation house check, they will visit your home and do the following:
- Check for excessive mail, packages and newspapers
- Check if all accessible windows and doors are secure
- Walk your property looking for anything suspicious
While conducting a vacation house check, VIPS wear an official VIPS uniform, carry an official VIPS identification card, and drive a marked VIPS patrol vehicle. If the VIPS notice anything out of the ordinary, it will be reported immediately to the Sausalito Police Department, and an officer will be dispatched to your home.
More Information About The Volunteers In Public Safety (VIPS)
Every member of the Volunteers in Public Safety (VIPS) is a resident of Sausalito who has been screened by the Police Department. VIPS are also graduates of the Sausalito Police Department Citizen's Police Academy. There are currently twenty-six active members of the VIPS program.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the VIPS, you will need to graduate from the Citizen's Police Academy. The academy is designed to give citizens the opportunity to learn about departmental operations and get to know officers on a personal level. All who live or work in the City of Sausalito are invited to apply for this eight-week program. For more information about the Citizen's Police Academy, please contact Lieutenant Stacie Gregory at (415) 289-4188 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requesting a Vacation House Check
To request a vacation house check you will need to do one of the following:
- Fill out the online form below and submit it electronically to the Sausalito Police Department
- Call the Sausalito Police Department at (415) 289-4170 during office hours and provide all necessary information over the phone
- Office Hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Download and complete a paper copy of the vacation house check form. Submit it by:
- Delivering in-person to the Sausalito Police Department during office hours (above)
- Faxing the form to (415) 289-4175
- Scanning and emailing your form to email@example.com
Online Vacation House Check Form
Please fill out the information below then submit your form by clicking the submit button at the end of the form.